Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Summer vibe postcards


Old postcard - Denmark

Old postcard - Hawaii

I'm meant to be writing an essay today, but am not having much success with that. It's about the placement of the woman in surrealism, and it's kind of depressing to read about Hans Bellmer and his misogyny and paedophilia because I really do like his images, albeit with a different reading of them than was probably intended. I like things that are disturbing, but it's kinda hard to get behind it when it is so blatantly expressing sexual violence towards women/young girls.

In aid of my procrastination I decided to scan a couple of old postcards. I haphazardly collect postcards and have some very beautiful ones, so next time I am in procrastination mode I will scan some more of them. I really like the top one, which is from Denmark and is dated 1980. The second one is a reproduction of a 1940s postcard of Hawaii.

1 comment:

  1. I used to collect postcards when I was younger (my sister collected stamps and in a way I just wanted to collect something too). Even now when people go on holidays I'm like please send me a postcard! Sometimes I reread them and remember being that age and just collecting for the sake of having a collection. I like your one from Hawaii. I wish I was in Hawaii.
    good luck with your essay! x

    ReplyDelete